Why would a man be in favor of women's suffrage?
Why would a woman be opposed to women's suffrage?
Before studying the documents below, express your own personal feelings
- Why would one group of people prevent another group of people from voting?
Alice Duer Miller 1915 Quote
"Men are too emotional to vote. Their conduct at baseball games and political conventions shows this, while their innate tendency to appeal to force renders them particularly unfit for the task of government." Alice Duer Miller, 1915
Elizabeth Cady Stanton Quote
"If God has assigned a sphere to man and one to woman, we claim the right ourselves to judge His design in reference to us...We think that a man has quite enough to do to find out his own individual calling, without being taxed to find out also where every woman belongs." Elizabeth Cady Stanton
- How were women characterized by suffragists? Please be specific.
- 2. How were women characterized by anti-suffragists? Please be specific.
- 3. How would you have voted if you were the following people, please explain your answers
- Male Immigrant
- Owner of a textile factory
- Religious official
Answer the central questions, please be specific.
- Why would a man be in favor of women's suffrage?
- Why would a woman be opposed to women's suffrage?