The Importance of Industrial Production from Letters to Industry
Assessment 2: Size of the U.S. Navy, 1938-1945
Critical Thinking Questions Based on the Chart:
- During what year did the size of the Navy increase the most?
- Analyze the chart. Which types of naval vessels were produced in the greatest volume between 1941-1943?
- Hypothesize why having a strong navy is important during war.
Directions: Read the following passages and complete the task below.
If you have not done so already, download this file now. War Production Drive (1.0MB)
- "From Secretary of War (Pg. 24, War Production Drive)"
- "Secretary of the Navy (Pg. 24, War production Drive)"
- "From Administrator, War Shipping Administration ( Pg. 25, War Production Drive)"
- "From Labor Director, War Production Board (Pg. 26, War Production Drive)"
If you have not done so already, download this file now. Production Goes to War (1.2MB)
- "From Chairman, War Production Board (Pg. 18, Production Goes to War)"
- Pretend that you are a member of the War Production Board. Write a brief persuasive letter to factory owners emphasizing their important role(s) in helping the Allies win the war.