This document is a letter received by Frances, the wife of Mr. Lagrange. The letter is written by a neighbor of the Lagrange Family, K.L. a Mechanic. The letter is rendered in its original form. Read the following letter and then answer the following questions.
Source: Letter from the Bernardus Lagrange folder, Rutgers University Special Collections and University Archives.
Using this document, answer the following questions.
- What is Mechanic's purpose in writing this letter? Do you feel this is an effective and proper method of voicing disagreement?
- Why do you feel Mechanic wrote to Lagrange's wife and not him? If you were Frances Lagrange, what would you do?
- According to Mechanic, what was the effect of the Declaration of Independence?
- What does the writer say will happen to Lagrange if he does not come out for Independence?
- What are your thoughts of Lagrange after reading the letter? What do you think will happen to him in the future?
- If the letter to Lagrange's wife fails, what do you think will be Mechanic's next step? What would be your next step?
After having read and answered the questions, please click on Local Advertisement published in 1776 to see what happened next to the Lagrange family.