The following was a letter written to Bernardus Lagrange by his brother Omie who lived in America. The letter is rendered in its original form. Read the letter to find out the fate of Mr. Lagrange.
Letter from the Bernardus Lagrange folder, Rutgers Special Collection and University Archives.
From this document, answer the following questions.
- Are you surprised at Lagrange's chosen path? Why?
- Why do you think Lagrange moved to England? Do you feel it was a wise choice?
- What do you think his life will be like in England?
- Was Lagrange loyal to his country? What do you think London citizens thought of him?
- What should England do for such a man, considering he gave up his house, property, and financial success to remain loyal to Britain? What do you think Britain will do?
- Having faced such a difficult situation in New Jersey, what events in Lagrange's life do you feel he is proud of? What events do you feel he regrets?
Please click on Letter to Parliament (1780's) to find out how Lagrange fared in England.