New Jersey Women's Suffrage
- Burstyn, Joan, ed. Past and Promise of New Jersey Women. Syracuse University Press, 1997. Biographical encyclopedia of New Jersey women. Also includes general essays.
- Gordon, Felice. After Winning: The Legacy of the New Jersey Suffragist, 1920-1947. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 1986.
- Karnoutsos, Carmelia Ascolese. New Jersey Women: A History of their Status, Roles and Images. Trenton: New Jersey Historical Commission, Department of State, 1997.
- Philbrook, Mary. "Women Suffrage in New Jersey Prior to 1807." New Jersey Historical Proceedings, 1939, Volume 57, 87-98. Excellent resource on early voting.
- The Women's Project of New Jersey, Inc. Past and Promise: Lives of New Jersey Women. Metuchen: Scarecrow Press, 1990.
- Kraditor, Aileen S. The Ideas of the Woman Suffrage Movement, 1890-1920. New York: Columbia University Press, 1965.
- National American Woman Suffrage Association. Woman Suffrage, Arguments and Results. Washington, D.C. 1910.
- Scott, Anne Firor and Andrew M. Scott. One Half the People: The Fight for Woman Suffrage. New York: J.B. Lippincott, 1975. A good selection of primary source materials
- Stevens, Doris. Jailed for Freedom. New York: Boni and Liveright, 1920, reprinted by Books for Libraries, Freeport NY, 1971. Discusses the terrible conditions suffragists and others experienced in the jails. "...Includes New Jersey Women."
- Ward, Geoffrey C. and Ken Burns. Not For Ourselves Alone: The Story of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1999.
General Information on Women's History
- Bernikow, Louise. The American Women's Almanac: An Inspiring and Irreverent Women's History. New York: Berkley Books, 1997.
- Degler, Carl. At Odds: Women and the Family in American from the Revolution to the Present. New York: Oxford University Press, 1980.
- Evans, Sara. Born of Liberty. New York: Macmillan, 1989.
- Flexner, Eleanor. Century of Struggle. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1959. This is a classic.
- Filene, Peter. Him/Her Self: Sex Roles in Modern America. New York: New American Library, 1976.
Places suffragists' cause and "womanhood” in historical context.
- Franzen, Monika and Nancy Ethiel. Make Way! 200 Years of American Women in Cartoons. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 1988. Contains entertaining and educational cartoons.
- Giddings, Paula. When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America. New York Bantam Books, 1984.
Examines national involvement of black women in suffrage movement.
- Lerner, Gerda. Black Women in White America: A Documentary History. New York: Vintage Books, 1992.
- Markey, Kevin. 100 Most Important Women of the 20th Century: Ladies Home Journal. Des Moines, Iowa: 1998.
- Rowbotham, Sheila. A Century of Women: The History of Women in Britain and the United States. New York: Penguin Books USA Inc., 1997.
- Seager, Joni and Ann Olson. Women in the World: An International Atlas. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1986. This is an excellent resource.
- Thebaud, Francoise, ed. A History of Women in the West: Toward a Cultural Identity in the Twentieth Century. Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2000.
- Vote for Women: Selections from the National American Woman Suffrage Association Collection, 1848-1921. http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/naw/nawshome.html Part of the Library of Congress American Memory Series. 167 books, pamphlets and other documents from the suffrage campaign. Includes bibliography and learning activities.
- H-Women http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~women/ Women’s history section of H-Net Humanities & Social Sciences Online. Includes list serve, reviews, bibliographies, and syllabi.
- Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1775-200. http://womhist.alexanderstreet.com/ Half-available free. Co-published by the Center for the Historical Study of Women and Gender at SUNY Binghamton. Includes 1000 primary documents, interpretation, questions, links and images.
- Women’s Project of New Jersey, New Jersey Women’s History Website, 2002. http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/njwomenshistory/index.htm
- Evans, Sara M. Born for Liberty: A History of Women in America. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1997.
- Norton, Mary Beth and Ruth M. Alexander. Major Problems in American Women’s History. Second Edition. Lexington, Mass.: D.C. Heath and Co., 1996.
- Woloch, Nancy. Women and the American Experience. Third Edition. Boston: McGraw Hill, 2000.
Compiled and Published Bibliographies
- New Jersey Women. 1770-1970: A Bibliography by Elizabeth Steiner-Scott and Elizabeth Pearce Wagle. Fairleigh Dickinson Press, 1978. (Published material before 1970. Includes many published primary sources.)
- Beaber, Patricia. New Jersey Women’s History Web Site, Bibliography, 2001. http://www.scc.rutgers.edu/njwomenshistory/bibliography.htm (Published material after 1970.)